Pages

Friday, May 31, 2019

The Three Snap Shoe Swap

Hello again to all you out in internet land,

I think this one of the last blog entries, if not the last. I know you're all horribly disappointed, but do try to keep a stiff upper lip about it. Since I've last updated you all, we've had tech, two dress rehearsals, and opening night. Theatre moves quickly.

This is my last show here at OSU and honestly the highest note I could have gone out on. Everyone in the theatre department kind of has a niche. They might do more than one thing (act and also Stage Manage or run wardrobe and do sound design) but everyone I've talked to usually has a preference: they classify themselves an actor, or a costumer, or a designer.

I'm a writer. I have been since I was nine. This is my niche. This is what I love to do. I have acted, run wardrobe, constructed sets, managed props, and I have enjoyed every moment. But my preferred method of storytelling is writing: scripts, novel manuscripts, poetry. My heart is here, and best expressed with words on a page.

The Three Snap Shoe Swap was an important story for me to tell as I graduate and my brother stays here at OSU to finish his degree. We are not nearly as close as Mia and Cal, but we are siblings and love each other even if we don't have anything in common.

He's an engineering student. I'm a theatre major. 'Nough said.

I know our career paths will likely take us in different directions and lead us to different cities. This might be the last time I live in the same area as my brother and that saddens me. But, a part of growing up is understanding that even if we are apart, I am always there for him, and he for me.

I hope you all enjoy whichever panel you come to see, it has been a pleasure working with such a talented group of individuals.

Sincerely,

a nostalgic playwright

No comments:

Post a Comment