Pages

Friday, May 31, 2019

Aaand it's gone

Well, that seemed rather quick.

In a week we went from company, tech, and dress rehearsals and tomorrow the show finally closes. It's kinda surreal that it's already almost over.

Company run throughs were a treat, since not only did I get to see my show and the others, but I got to see how an audience reacts. I was very pleased that most people seemed to like it, and relaxed a bit while watching the rest of the shows. There were some things that felt like they were missing, which put me at a bit of unease, and that didn't go away until later.

Tech was not so fun. Seeing as how our show had three queues, most of my time was spent in a chair waiting for the rest of the shows to end. Granted, nobody really likes tech, especially if we wait around for most of it, but fortunately I was able to nap for the most of it. This came in handy later as it helped give an element of surprise for the shows I hadn't seen in all their glory.

Dress was easy, as there weren't any real issues that came about. People remembered their lines and it seemed like clockwork at this point. Everything was going well.

The first performance was nerve-wracking. In my seat, I suddenly realized that there was nothing I can do but watch. What if the actors forgot an entrance? What if a sound queue was missed? What if the vase fell off the table? I tried to calm my nerves and tell myself that these things wouldn't happen.

I was wrong.

They happened.

And my actors adapted and handled these challenges like champs. Whenever I tensed up in fear, the actors made small organic changes to account for these. By the end, I was satisfied that the first showing wasn't a train wreck, and now I keep telling myself that it only goes uphill from here. Everyone has a performance where something goes wrong, and we already had it without letting it mess with the integrity of the show. It's awesome.

Tomorrow, I get to show it to my mom. I hope she likes it. It is kinda depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment