Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Swapping Ink for Individuals

A hardy howdy to you all,

So, this last week we cast all seven shows. 

All. 

Seven. 

Shows. 

"That's a lot of shows," you say.  Well, I also say that is a lot of shows to cast. 

And, that is why my mind is still trying to comprehend how Mack and I walked out of Directors and Dramatists with our cast. I was extremely impressed with everyone at auditions, but The Three Snap Shoe Swap feels more fully formed now that it has its actors. Genesis brought a vibrancy to Mia I was so excited to see. Adam was brilliant, accentuating the dorkier side of Callum that makes him so endearing. And lastly, Maia's laid back, dry sarcasm made Rylie leap from the page. There's a bit of a decision to be made now, however, based on the casting. See, Adam's an international student from England, and well...Genesis is not an international student from England. Since Mia and Callum are siblings, there will have to be a decision made for continuity and possibly a slight script adjustment in order to explain the British accent(s). I'm not even worried though, honestly, I'm so over the moon. I know Mack will figure something out and I'm at the ready to accommodate.  

My script is still ink and paper. 

But with the cast now selected, I see signs of life. 

Sincerely, 

An ecstatic playwright 

No comments:

Post a Comment