Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Last Person: Working Past Bumps and Presenting a Concept


Hi again everyone,

This week has been a bit hectic. One of my actors dropped and finding a replacement has slowed down my process quite a bit. I still have yet to set up a read-thru which makes me a little nervous, but then I remind myself that I had almost less time will Nightfall. As long as I tell myself that I can do this – no, that I will do this – everything will come together just fine.

Because of that, I want to focus on what has come together so far. Rachel has worked tirelessly with editing her script and seeing the transformation from the first draft to now is breathtaking. She essentially rewrote her entire play and I think it led to her creating an incredibly strong piece that she feels proud of, which makes me really happy.

With this script I have found key points that I wanted to emphasize through my concept approach. These points include, what it means to be alive, the key qualities of life, and the loss of life. These ideas will be represented in my decision to depict heightened characters on the stage, show the passage of time through costumes and blocking choices, and emphasize the need for sacrifice in order to address/undo environmental degradation. All of these will hopefully come together to paint an outline for the choice that Cassie makes at the end of the play, as well as the choice we all must make.

Overall, I am looking forward to really starting the process. I am hoping my cast is not too overwhelmed with not having a rehearsal yet, however, filling the empty actor position is still the focus on my mind. I am thinking about scheduling a read-thru without having the slot filled but I wanted to give it one more day before I rush into it, just to make the read-thru as productive as possible. I also want to be able to present everyone with a rough rehearsal schedule which will be difficult to do without everyone’s availability.

It will come together though, even though it is frustrating and stressful. See? It always comes back to trusting the process… which is never easy.

Stay tuned,

- Lindsey Esch

No comments:

Post a Comment