Pages

Monday, June 6, 2016

Brian Greer - Brian Greer

I apologize for the extremely late posting of all these blogs, however these are records from various rehearsals and conversations with actors.

I guess I should introduce myself, finally. My name is Brian, if you haven't all ready discovered that. I am a Junior majoring in theatre at Oregon State University. I am from an Appalachian Mountain town named Boone, North Carolina. I am the youngest of four (two older sisters and an older brother) and my mother opened our house up for foster care.

My father, in a way, started my theatre life. When I was seven, I had a hip problem that prevented me from playing sports. When a community theatre was producing “A Christmas Carol” my dad encouraged me to audition as my limp was the real deal. In his eyes, there was no way I would not get cast. I did not get cast, because I was too nervous at auditions and left before my name was called. After that, I acted in class shows in elementary school and in high school.

As time has progressed though, I have slowly drifted from the acting side toward the technical side. I love set designs. Obviously, there can be an excellent acting with a blank stage and it still be a terrific show. However, the possibilities to further paint an image in the audiences head is awesome. I enjoy lighting and light design. Light design, behind the words/acting, is the next piece that sets the mood, and it’s remarkable how you can feel enclosed by lights shining in a certain direction.

What I have found most enjoyable, and most challenging truth be told, is stage managing. I don't know if it’s being in a position of (some) power, or if it’s working closely with the director/designers, but it’s the best! As an actor, you obviously see the show develop and progress, but once the costumes and lights are added, you are not seeing the full picture anymore. You can’t sit out in the house to see what everyone looks like under the lights. You can’t see what the audience sees. As a stage manager, you see it all. You see day one in which the actors are all wearing tennis shoes and t-shirts. And you see closing night when actors, with tears forming in their eyes as the realization of the last show sets in, are wearing waistcoats and tails, or garments of the 1940’s. It’s a remarkable experience: to see it all come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment