Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Hello readers and welcome to the second of the Eight required blog postings for La Vie en Rose written by the director of the production, me, Michael Beaton.  As you are aware, it has been quite a while since I have made a blog posting, in fact the only other contribution that I have made to the theatre blog was my introductory post a few weeks ago.  I admit that some Spring term slacking has been going on for my part, as well as my other obligations to work and the production of The Misanthrope, which you should definitely come and see if you have the opportunity.  

Now, to catch you all up on some things you may have missed in the last few weeks.  Working with the cast of La Vie en Rose has been an easy and productive experience since we began work on the play at the begging of this month.  The technical aspects of the show such as the set lay out and the blocking have been decided and the cast have been great about memorizing and adapting to the changes that have been made.   Hopefully the lay out and blocking decisions I've made will be effective and pleasing to the audience, since now I find that I have to focus my efforts on the most difficult part of the production which is the emotional. 

This play lends itself to the big and bold, both in the characters and the plot.  Tapping into the theatrics of the big and bold emotions in the script and presenting them through the actors has been my biggest challenge so far.  I have discovered that my own confidence and energy for seeing the story played out in front of me over and over again has drained and I fear that the same may be happening to my actors.  As we finished our rehearsal today after one of Mr. Farrow's gloomy and selfish monologues the cast remarked on how tragic and depressing the play can be and how it might affect them.  I didn't enjoy this remark however, since I know that the lack of energy is not a result of the script, but of the need to energize the cast and put more energy and style into their characters. 

I admit that my own energy for the play has been diminishing.  My initial excitement for being a director and being in charge of all the decisions was replaced with the realization and the sobriety of all the many responsibilities and work that comes from being in charge.  I need to find my second wind for this play.  I need to go back and see what about it I liked and what I am trying to say with it.  If I can find my bearings and put us in a good direction, then I know I can make it all work. 

Tomorrow is a new day.  Rehearsal will go well.  Things will get done, and the production will be good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment