Pages

Friday, April 9, 2021

The Play With The Stuffed Animal: Writing Outside of the Comfort Zone

Stuffed Animals tend to be one of our first friends in life. 

They are cuddly, never judge, and are there to hold when you're scared. It's a sweet moment when you spot a child with their favorite pal, usually worn around the edges, but overall very cute. 

I'll admit it myself, I have my childhood companion (a small stuffed dog named, Cuddles) here with me in my apartment. 

So how in the world did I come up with a thriller play? A play that takes that idea of childhood comfort and forces it on a train to an alternate reality?

Well, it really all starts with Cuddles. . In his glory days, Cuddles was a soft and sweet little inanimate dog that brought joy to toddler me. However, as I've aged...He's aged too...

That's where the next piece of this play puzzle stems from. As a stuffed animal ages, it becomes an unrecognizable vessel for horror. As humans change and grow, their former stuffed companions become worn, torn, and often forgotten. This became my first concept with my play, one that explores the stagnation of the human experience. 

The loss of innocence and wonder is represented by the Teddy Bear, Paedon. Rue, a young woman from a small town,  represents how our expectations for life can let us down and that we can refuse to grow and change after we feel we have accomplished enough. 

I also wanted to write something that felt open to interpretation, because I really love hearing what people think about at the end. 

What surprised them? 

What resonated with them? 

What part of the human experience does the end represent? 

These are all questions that I will continue to carry through my workshopping process, and I hope that you reader will also keep these in mind. 

This is a collaborative journey. A journey traveled by You and Me. A journey that requires a bit of waiting. 

                                                (A picture of the very old, but lovely, Cuddles)

No comments:

Post a Comment