Pages

Friday, April 16, 2021

Fetch- Casting the Pups

This week was jam-packed with auditions, casting, a read-through, and production schedules. Even though I took the directing class last winter, I had to find my own people for the two scenes we did in class- and I loved getting to have a full audition process. Those who submitted sides did a really great job of providing us with a variety of styles and characters and made the task of casting our four short plays very enjoyable. I’ve done theater since middle school, yet I’ve never actually cast a show before- and I found it to be enlightening to what all the directors I’ve worked with have had to go through. I think we were very lucky to have those who audition, audition, but I can see where casting choices can be incredibly difficult in some situations. While it was a great experience, I'm hoping to be able to eventually experience casting in a way that existed pre-pandemic and seeing people make bold choices in the moment rather than film.

Once the cast list came out, we prepared for our read-through and proceeded to begin making the production calendar. COVID has definitely made it more challenging for rehearsals since only one group can use the theater space at one time, but as we worked through the different conflicts, it was reassuring to see it all come together in a way that gives each cast time in the space, as well and being considerate of people’s conflicts. 


At the read-through, everyone brought their A-game and made the scripts come to life, which was so exciting! It made the process of looking ahead at what this will become so much more exciting, and definitely gave me more thoughts into what I’m envisioning overall for the show. My cast made me laugh the whole time, and I’m excited about working with them, especially working on something so whimsical. In our break-out room we had great conversations about the process, what the show was going to look like, and even discussed the cone of shame and poodle hair. I was honestly a little nervous- I’ve directed in a year, but after last night, I think this show is going to come together so well. We have our first Zoom rehearsal on Sunday, and I’m anticipating bringing each of these sweet dogs to life. 


And for reference: a cone of shame






No comments:

Post a Comment