Pages

Friday, April 30, 2021

A Helping Hand: Week 3, Blocking and Back Pain.

    Wow. If I can say anything more than that about the first blocking rehearsal I would say that I'm happy - more than happy - with the results of just four hours experimentation. I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying so, but it has been mind-blowing how well this production has gone. 

    Perhaps I should preface this. Yesterday was the first of many blocking rehearsals I would have with my troupe. It began well enough, a seated read on stage and a toe-dipping into basic movements before a break halfway through. It was going well enough, one of our actors had some back issues so we were going light with the actual movement and more thinking about what the needed movements were and playing with different ideas. Mainly we were seeing what happens when "X" actors moves to "X" spot during "X" line and so on. After said break, everyone came back and we had some banter. Then it began. I don't know what changed. Nothing was really all too different, but something amazing happened. The actors began strong, really pushing their characters hard, they went through and, from my point of view, it was like they had been doing it for weeks. They pushed, their lines felt honest and raw, and they fought like the stakes were real. They did this sudden transformation and then it only got better on the next two iterations of the performance. They nearly cried as did myself and our wonderful ast. Stage Manager, Taylor. It was out of no where. The blocking was working is the only explanation I could come up with. The movements maybe gave life to the words, the actors being able to see each other and really connect through their place on stage and their body language. 

    More than anything I hope it sticks and all we have to do is refine it to a near-science. I swear I must say this every time but I am more excited than ever!

Nich

No comments:

Post a Comment