Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Last Person: The Other Side


Hi again everyone!

Auditions happened, and the shows have been cast!

The first time I ever experienced auditions from the “other side” was for last year’s One-Act festival. I remember feeling incredibly focused on the people that walked through the room and thinking about who they were and what I might want them to read for. I had everything on my end planned out extensively. I knew what I imagined for the characters and what I wanted to see from the actors attempting to portray them. Being so focused helped me remember the people I saw read for my scenes, however, I think it gave me a little bit of tunnel vision.

For this year’s audition process, I felt a lot more relaxed. I knew what I wanted from my characters, and I knew what to ask for from actors to see it come to life. I also knew how the characters in my show might overlap with the characters in other shows. Because of that, I found myself paying a lot more attention to other directors’ sides. By the end of the night, I felt like I had seen so much and knew exactly where to go with it. I felt relaxed even though I thought the actual casting part was going to be very messy – that turned out to be incredibly smooth as well though.
Overall, casting this show was very different for me than casting The Courier last year, or Nightfall last term. Both of which were incredibly overwhelming – and I only had one night of auditions for Nightfall. It was funny because after the first night Liz asked us if we felt like we could cast the show if we had to, and I felt confident that I could. Not that I didn’t see people I was interested in the second night because I did, however, I knew I could make it work from what I saw the first night. This showed me my own growth and how different it felt to go into the audition process confident and relaxed rather than tense and focused.
It makes sense that it is better to go into an audition process with the former feelings in place, no matter which side you are on.
Stay tuned,
- Lindsey Esch

No comments:

Post a Comment