Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

The Importance of Stories

As I'm sure you can all tell, I think stories are really important to tell. Storytelling is so ingrained into our cultural identity, every cultural identity, that it becomes really hard to escape stories. But that's just it; why would you want to escape stories? Why do we tell stories instead of just handing everyone an instruction manual? Why bother?

I think it comes from natural human empathy. While by and large, empathy is learned and taught and cultivated as a skill, we have the capacity for it, and access it on a daily basis, even if we think that we don't.

So, why am I writing about stories? Well, I'm writing about theatre, and the way that theatre tells stories. Theatre tells stories to transform, be that your mindset, or just your attitude at the time being. Theatre doesn't need to be high and mighty. I mean, just look at me, I'm directing a short little one act, but in doing so, I'm hopefully doing my job by transforming the audience. If I make them laugh, then that's all I need to do.

I do theatre to make the life of the audience a little less shitty. So, come see the one act festival, which opens on May 31st, and have your life made a little less shitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment