Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2018

The Courier: Vision & Freedom

I know that it's often the case that actors want freedom to move around scenes and make discoveries regarding their characters for themselves. With this, it's still important to maintain one's directorial vision. I've learned that the director must walk a fine line between maintaining ones vision and maintaining their actors' freedom.

How do I think you walk this line? By sacrificing part of your directorial control.  If there are choices that go against your vision at first glance, explore them and see if that truly is the case. I've had one instance already where I thought an actors' choice was going to alter my vision. I allowed them to explore it in the beginning even though I thought I would ask them to make a different choice. However, I discovered that their choice highlights my vision instead. Their choice gives a different feel the the scene by embodying an opposite, and contrasts the end of the play as well as the other characters. I'm even excited to see how their choice grows more in future rehearsals, especially with my guidance.

Being open to ideas that seem like they initially go against one's vision can actually lead to a better portrayal of that vision. This then allows for the exploration of choices outside your original realm of conception, meaning you can guide the actor further in the right direction.

Stay tuned for more.

- Lindsey Esch

No comments:

Post a Comment