Pages

Thursday, April 13, 2017

How It Came To Be

I suppose introducing myself would be polite, even though my name is listed below. So, hello, my name is Hannah Fretz and I am the author of The Two Minds of Mr. Coffan. This play is very "me," and for those of you who don't know "me" that probably doesn't mean anything. I'll explain. The Two Minds of Mr. Coffan was born out of my own process when I write novels (my forte). While my protagonist, George Coffan, with his daddy issues and poor hygiene habits, has little in common with me, he does combat the character (Adair) he created, and battles her for control over his novel. That is very me. At first, I always fight my character, try to force my will on them as author and god of my novel; but, ultimately it's working with and not against my character that makes the manuscript most successful.

This was the basic idea I wanted to explore. What happens when a character disagrees with their writer and wants to take the story in a different direction? But, over Winter Term, The Two Minds of Mr. Coffan developed beyond that idea into a story about George accepting who is father is and learning who he is. I'm proud of the final product, if not a bit nervous (I don't usually write comedies, I'm afraid no one will laugh).

Finally, I'm thrilled my "baby" has been entrusted into the hands of the brilliant and talented Sedona. I know she will do a wonderful job and I'm excited to see how she, as the director, further evolves and polishes the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment