Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2021

Directing "A Helping Hand"

 Hello, I’m Nicholas Svoboda. I’m a director working with the OSU one acts festival this term. I’m directing the play “A Helping Hand”, which follows two people recovering from substance abuse and facing themselves. 

So far this experience has been really interesting and quite daunting. I’ve directed before, however, I have only had the opportunity within the realm of film, which I have found is much different and a completely separate experience. I’m learning the differences between the two mediums, which I had previously thought not too distant from one another, but am discovering that they are completely different languages. 


Today was the concept pitch which I felt the largest distance to date. I had done pitches before but they were more focused on the visual aspects, more describing what you see as a director, whereas the concept presentation is more of a communication of emotions, of ideas, to the team you are working with so that the whole group has a shared understanding of what everyone is trying to achieve. 

I did not do great in my own eyes, however, it was well received and people were kind about my first step into the realm of theater. 


It’s been exciting so far and I’m excited to continue.


No comments:

Post a Comment