Pages

Monday, June 12, 2017

Love Games: It Started Out With a Kiss...

It started out with a kiss
How did it end up like this
It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss
Now I'm falling asleep
And she's calling a cab
While he's having a smoke
And she's taking a drag
Now they're going to bed
And my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head
But she's touching his chest
Now, he takes off her dress
Now, let me go
I just can't look its killing me
And taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
Cause I'm Mr Brightside
This play was a lot all at once. It was a comedy, a melodrama, a political statement, and a little bit of tongue in cheek self-humor. Every night was its own roller coaster. I always love sitting with the directors in the back because we are just so alive the whole night. This is the only theatre that I feel actively invested in as an audience member. Normally I just sit back and react as is natural, but with this I find myself grasping the hands of my co-directors as difficult moments come up- as though by stabilizing ourselves together we can keep our actors grounded. 
I find myself whispering about the things that I discover after hearing the words relentlessly for weeks and I find myself laughing at things no regular audience member will find funny. For example- when Adair drops the pen and kicks it to George. On the last night she did exactly as she had before, but it was different this night. The pen broke in half! The actors looked at eachother and fumed for a single moment before George stormed over to his desk, opened the drawer, and pulled out a feather quill. A quill! Saying, "You're lucky I have extras." For any first time viewer, this was planned. They executed it so well that it fit seamlessly into the show. But to Sedona and I it could not have been funnier. We were in silent hysterics for several minutes afterwards. 
Viewing theatre as a crew/production member is wholly unique and something that I think every thespian should endure at least once. You see so much more of the story and of the reality behind every moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment