Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

I've never directed a show before, so I'm not sure what to expect in the coming weeks where I'll be working to put together a production in this year's One Act Festival.  As eager as I am to be working with a student written script, and direct other students and community members, I know that it will be a challenge.  Scheduling, managing, communicating, and all the other things that a director has to do to make a production work have been on my mind for the past couple of weeks as I have bounced ideas back and forth in my head for what I want to accomplish with the play.  Really to be honest, since this is my first gig as a director, all I can really say that I want is for things to go smoothly, simply, and be satisfied with the end result.  That's all pretty vague right now, but the details will come.

The play I'm directing is La Vie en Rose, a drama set in the great depression era of America, and is the story of the ideological struggles of a person of wealth and power and a person of want and poverty.  The play is centered on this time honored struggle, which is one of the things that drew me to it.  A challenge of directing this play will be to strike the right cords and drive the play's theme home without loosing the human side of the equation.

No comments:

Post a Comment